Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pumpkin!




PUMPKINS!

Am I right?

They are fun to carve, fun to decorate with, and fun to eat.

Here is a quick and easy favorite recipe from our house.  Best part?  You can practically think of it as a health food.

1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 box vanilla pudding mix
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, cloves, allspice*

* You could probably use pumpkin pie spice in place of all the individual spices I mention here, but I'm not sure how much of that you would put in in that case, maybe 1 tsp? a little less? Give it a try.

Also, did you know that you can look up what nutrients any food has in it?  For example, when I wanted to know just how healthy pumpkins really are, and I asked Devin, he told me to go look it up.  Like that information is just dangling from tree branches or something.

Nutrient Database    Check it out.


When you search for pumpkin you get the option of canned or not canned, salt or no salt, etc.  so you can really pinpoint what you are looking for, down to a pretty close match.



Pumpkins!

You know I'm right.

3 comments:

  1. So do you put this in a pie shell or just eat as a delicious pudding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always just eat it as delicious pudding, but you could put it in a graham cracker crust or something... that would be yummy too.

      Delete
  2. So do you like pie from fresh pumpkin? I know Laurie thinks it doesn't taste as good from fresh pumpkin. She said it was because canned pumpkin is aged. Mom says it is because canned pumpkin actually has a lot of squash in it, and squash tastes better than pumpkin. I couldn't tell you the last time I ate pumpkin pie, because I decided as a child that I didn't like it, so I can't really weigh in on either side of the issue. I can say though that I liked the pumpkin soup Devin made. And I like the pumpkin soup my friend Sara makes. And I like pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. So maybe I need to give pumpkin pie another chance one of these days. It is always funny when I tell Jeff I don't like something, and then he asks me if I've ever had it or when the last time was. :) What a picky child I was!

    ReplyDelete