Monday, November 12, 2012

Show Up

I started P90X today.  Chest and Back.  And the Ab Ripper X.  It wasn't the worst or hardest workout of my life, but that is probably because I took it slow.  What I like about the workout is everyone on the screen has a different goal for each rep depending on the level they are at.  Tony (the host) emphasizes that you should pace yourself but also push yourself.  It is nice to be able to start the program at my own level and be able to work my way up without feeling like I've already failed for not being where everyone on the screen is at.

I think this is my hang up a lot of times in life.  I get excited about doing something for my health, whether is be nutrition, or exercise, or whatever, and when I can't do what is expected, or I fail at it, or I forget to do it one day, or I cheat on my diet, I throw up my hands and just say "forget it. I've already failed." And then I continue to fail every day because I quit trying.

I hate to quote Tony Horton (because that is just so cheesy), but during the work out he said the most important part is to "just show up."  Just start the workout.  Just press play.  Do your best, and move on.  It's actually really great advise.

So just show up.  Whatever it is that you are working on in your life.  Fitness.  Health.  Being a better parent or spouse.  Reaching goals at work.  The first and most important step is to just show up!

Happy Veteran's Day.

3 comments:

  1. Amen sista! Thanks for the motivation and words of encouragement. Keep on rockin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do like Tony Horton. Bring It, Al.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Where's my comment? I commented yesterday. ROAST. Well, I'll try to remember what I said... and come back and write it when I do.

    ReplyDelete